Big Data Scientist and Research Engineer (f/m)
FIZ Karlsruhe – Leibniz Institute for Information Infrastructure is an internationally leading provider of scientific information and services.
FIZ Karlsruhe is a non-profit GmbH and one of the largest information infrastructure institutions in Germany with approximately 320 employees at three locations in Germany and at one subsidiary in the US.
We provide patent data, scientific information, and services for research and industry. In addition, we develop and operate innovative information services and e-research solutions for a precise research and intelligent analysis of these data, e. g. for confidential data management.
For this purpose we conduct applied research on data management, information mining and information retrieval in close collaboration with academic institutions and research organizations. Our customers comprise international market leaders from the pharmaceutical and chemical industries as well as large patent offices and research institutions.
We are recruiting for the position of a Big Data Scientist and Research Engineer (m/f).
As an integral member of a funded project you will work closely with our cross-functional team of researchers and developers for realizing a big data Text-and Data Mining (TDM) platform for allowing to process, structure and analyse large amounts of patent data and scientific texts.
You’re a person who enjoys researching and resolving technological challenges for implementing efficient, flexible and scalable means for storing, retrieving and analysis of amounts of data.
You have experience with retrieval and data mining algorithms and love to seek for new solutions for resolving challenging tasks in big data analytics. You are eager to dig deeper into our platform architecture and suggest valuable improvements. Your interest is not only about what is valuable for internal development but also about researching and developing systems and interfaces to enable customer satisfaction.
Required Skills and Tasks
- With other team members you evaluate and implement a Big Data Platform (e.g. based on NoSQL, Hadoop, Spark) coping with a large number of full-text patents by applying methods for storing, searching (e.g. Solr, ElasticSearch) and semantic analysis of textual information.
- You are able to conceptualize, develop and implement sustainable and scalable workflows using pipelining tools or scripting (e.g. UIMA, KNIME).
- You have advanced knowledge in methods and tools for Natural Language Processing (NLP), Machine Learning (ML) and good knowledge about widely applied standards (e.g. as JSON, RDF) and open source tools for processing unstructured data as well as encoding semantic information
- Proven ability to take responsibility and role in projects that span multiple teams, ability to deliver on time requested tasks, etc.
- “Can do” attitude
- MSc or PhD in computer sciences or another closely related discipline such as computational linguistics, data science, etc.
- Outstanding analytical competence, strong interest in interdisciplinary research and excellent programming and communication skills
- Excellent communication and networking skills
- Fluency in spoken and written English is required
What we offer you
We offer a creative, active, internationally research and development group, outstanding working environment in a new, technically excellent company. We offer you the chance to shape future-oriented information services in an innovative scientific and technological environment.
Work contract with a salary based on the collective agreement for public sector employees (German Tarifvertrag öffentlicher Dienst (TVöD)), which depends on the candidate’s profile. The position is limited to 2 years with an optional 2 year extension. For questions, please contact Hidir Aras (Hidir.Aras(at)). fiz-karlsruhe(dot)de
How to apply
Excellent candidates are invited to apply with:
- Detailed curriculum vitae and copies of degree certificates/transcripts
- Publication record and writing samples/copies of relevant scientific papers (e.g. thesis, etc.)
- Work experience letters
- A statement of interest / letter of motivation covering your research goals.
FIZ Karlsruhe is committed to promoting the careers of women and therefore looks forward to receiving applications by female candidates. We are also committed to work-life balance and equal opportunity (https://www.fiz-karlsruhe.de/jobs-karriere.html). FIZ Karlsruhe positively welcomes applications from suitably qualified disabled people.
Please send your complete application documents by regular mail or by e-mail, quoting the reference number 07/2017, to Mr. Rainer Kurz.
Ihre Bewerbung schicken Sie bitte an
FIZ Karlsruhe – Leibniz-Institut für Informationsinfrastruktur
Leiter Abteilung Personal
Hermann-von Helmholtz-Platz 1
Tel: +49 7247 808 168